East European Cooking
by Catherine Atkinson and Trish Davies
Published by Lorenz Books
256 pages, 1999
Buy it online
Fried Peppers with Cheese
From East European Cooking by Catherine Atkinson and Trish Davies
This traditional Bulgarian dish may vary slightly from place to place in the Balkan area, but it is usually served as a starter or light snack. The peppers may be red, yellow or green.
4 long peppers
50g/2oz/1/2 cup plain flour, seasoned
1 egg, beaten
olive oil, for shallow frying
cucumber and tomato salad, to serve
For the Filling
1 egg, beaten
90g/31/2oz/1/2 cup feta cheese, finely crumbled
30ml/tbsp chopped fresh parsley
1 small chilli, seeded and finely chopped
1. Slip open the peppers lengthways, enabling you to scoop out the seeds and remove the cores, but leaving the peppers in one piece.
2. Carefully open out the peppers and place under a preheated grill, skin side uppermost. Cook until the skin is charred and blackened. Place the peppers on a plate, cover with clear film and leave for 10 minutes.
3. Using a sharp knife, carefully peel away the skin from the peppers.
4. In a bowl mix together well all the filling ingredients. Divide evenly among the four peppers.
5. Reshape the peppers to look whole. Dip them into the seasoned flour, then the egg then the flour again.
6. Fry the peppers gently in a little olive oil for 6-8 minutes, turning once, or until golden brown and the filling is set. Drain the peppers on kitchen paper before serving with a cucumber and tomato salad.